permaculture - [permaculture] deep mulch in Mediterannean climates. don't forget Jean Pain

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] deep mulch in Mediterannean climates. don't forget Jean Pain
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:06:43 -0800 (PST)

A small gripe.  would people not put "US Permaculture National Conference" in
the subject line of a post when they are talking about something totally
different.

On the topic of appropriateness of deep mulch in Mediterannean climates.
Some people may have had bad experience with this for one reason or another,
but the decades long work of Jean Pain in a hot  Mediterannean bioregion in
France included successfully growing gardens without irrigation with the use
of deep mulch (in combination with other strategies).

His most in-depth description is in his book "Another Kind of Garden". I
highly recommend his work for many reasons.  Including the use of woody
biomass, conversion of biomass into energy, hot composting with biomass and
fire reduction in chapparal ecosystems.

If you google it you will find various sources including an article in the pc
activist.  Also it looks like it can be downloaded from
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4774652/THE_METHODS_OF_JEAN_PAIN_Another_Kind_of_Garden

I don't think we should make dogmatic statements like "deep mulch doesn't
work in Mediterannean climates"  Too many factors are at play and things like
this should be on a site by site basis.

respectfully

Michael Pilarski