permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Wikis, Databases, Blogs, Lists, etc. online national/international 24/7/365 pc community convergence and conferencing || WAS: Re: US National Permaculture Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Wikis, Databases, Blogs, Lists, etc. online national/international 24/7/365 pc community convergence and conferencing || WAS: Re: US National Permaculture Conference
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:35:25 -0500

Andrew McSwain wrote:

In the mean time I think that it's even better still to take this group and
create a wiki or something.. some sort of collaborative database that takes
all of the rediscovered regional folk-knowledge and ingenious techniques and
compiles them in one place that anyone in the world can easily access and
draw from.

If someone hasn't already done it, we should do it within the month.
Websites are cheap to run and wiki's don't consume a lot of bandwidth. This
could be up in a month easily.

Does anyone here have experience with wikis and social networking
technologies?

Several attempt to create an interactive online permaculture database
have resulted in the creation of http://permaculture.info,
a MediaWiki installation, same software that runs the Wikipedia.

There is a lot of information there already and I am personally interested in helping to put this project back on in focus, fuel up and head where the tracks may lead.

Scott Pittman wrote:
> And what is a national conference if not centralized??
>
> I think that the example of carbon offsets and pumping money into banks to
> create jobs are both examples of how our culture scams us into participation
> in a game of making the top earners in this culture stay on top.
>
> That we could easily set up a website with database for the whole world to
> access in a month is a total pipedream. And I mean a pop the magic dragon
> pipedream.
>
> And to then ask for someone else to step up to the plate and create this
> dream is beyond the pale.

Of course, this has already been done, except that it is a wiki and not a database (which would take a long time to set up):

http://permaculture.info