permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NASA study, Fed, algae threads

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NASA study, Fed, algae threads
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:26:56 -0400

All, Patrick, LL-

I used to take Sun Chlorella regularly - it had been recommended by my naturopath as a method
of helping to remove heavy metals from the body.
http://www.sunchlorella.com/home.cgi

Just read a book (ahem) about a company that has been harvesting & making algae supplements
since the late 70's. They focus on a blue-green algae that grows naturally near Klamath Falls, OR.
The book was written by someone who came across a celebration sponsored by the company every
August in Klamath, called the August Celebration (same name as the book). The celebration was
held in honor of this algae product, and as a celebration of life.

The company was called Cell Tech, but they changed their name to Simplixity a year or two ago, as I found
out when I Googled the original name.
http://www.simplexityhealth.com/

The author was initially put-off because the company had structured itself as a multi-level marketing
business. But, she got to know the owners, the sales staff, the history of the company's development, and
she was impressed by their integrity & enthusiasm for the products so she was inspired to write a whole
book about it.

One of the more admirable things the company does is to set aside 10% of their algae harvest for humanitarian
aid. They provided free algae supplements to the schools in the poorest areas of Nicaragua (I don't know if
they still do. The book was published in 1993). It followed that the teachers noticed a marked improvement in
school attendance, test scores, and ability to concentrate.

I am not a distrubutor, but I did just buy 1-months worth of their basic product to try. Its too early to make any
comments. I am a believer in green foods being very beneficial to ones health though.

My main interest is in learning to grow algae for personal consumption without having to freeze it, or using any
fancy equipment. I haven't exhausted all avenues, but the info isn't as readily available as I thought it might be.
The book mentioned American Indians consuming algae, and I thought I had read that they used it it to grow a
mold that was used to create a type of antibiotic, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

Jody Troupe