permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:13:07 -0500

jedd wrote:
What are the specs for your laptop?
I have a 6 yr old Dell Latitude with an Intel Pentium III 498 MHz, 256MB RAM, 60 gig HD (47 gigs free space) and a 40 gig external drive with 24 gigs free....Oh, and 28Kps dialup and 2.8Kps download (it will take a few hours to get that program...maybe while I'm sleeping.)
I was recently running 2 x Novell Netware servers, 2 x Microsoft
Windows 2003 servers, and 1 x Microsoft XP workstation -- all at the
same time, on VMware server on my 2-yo laptop (albeit with 1.5GB RAM).

Memory is the prime requirement with virtual machines - but if
you're going to run a Linux server primarily in order to run a CMS,
rather than doing lots of desktop / graphics intensive work on it,
it shouldn't need huge amounts of memory - 256MB allocated to it
would be fine. Of course if your laptop has only 256mb of RAM,
this isn't going to work - but if your laptop has 512mb (likely) or
1024mb (if it's a relatively new machine) then it'll be no problem.
Hmmm. Maybe I can't do it after all.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."