permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:28:16 +1100

On Sunday 21 January 2007 3:09 pm, Keith Johnson wrote:
] Jedd,
] I am I correct in thinking that the page you link to below will get me a
] tool that enables simultaneous running of two OS's?

Hi Keith,

Yes - absolutely. It'll be about 150MB download once you click thru
the various EULA and other pages. You want to 'VMWare Server for
Windows Operating Systems - master installer file containing all
Windows components of VMware server'. This should include the
client - the thing you run in order to talk to the VMware server, but
if it doesn't, the client is listed directly beneath. (I do believe
it'll be part of the first file, though.)

] ...but I don't know what that means. I don't have any server hardware.
] Just a laptop.

I think they just mean 'server hardware' in the sense of the hardware
that you'll be running 'vmware server' <tm> on.

What are the specs for your laptop?

I was recently running 2 x Novell Netware servers, 2 x Microsoft
Windows 2003 servers, and 1 x Microsoft XP workstation -- all at the
same time, on VMware server on my 2-yo laptop (albeit with 1.5GB RAM).

Memory is the prime requirement with virtual machines - but if
you're going to run a Linux server primarily in order to run a CMS,
rather than doing lots of desktop / graphics intensive work on it,
it shouldn't need huge amounts of memory - 256MB allocated to it
would be fine. Of course if your laptop has only 256mb of RAM,
this isn't going to work - but if your laptop has 512mb (likely) or
1024mb (if it's a relatively new machine) then it'll be no problem.

Jedd.