permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sustain_ability@123mail.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 22:30:28 -0400

Hello Gene and List Members,

Well put, Gene, with regards to distribution and production. Cities took
on a new significance, e.g. "critical masses" necessary for thinking and
doing things that could "never" be done elsewhere*. During the Cold War,
if you built up enough urban areas, your enemies could not destroy all
of them. The Cold War epoch is virtually synonymous with the era of
Cheap Oil.
*The Internet can help subvert this paradigm, but the resistance is
typified by blindly linking concepts such as freedom and democracy to an
oil-dependent urban lifestyle.

Some deep and deeply moving reviews of leading permaculture books can be
found here (no plug intended; I'm simply looking to save time and energy
in developing a plan for my less than ideal 'rockscape' in the Canadian
Pre-Cambrian shield) -
<<http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0646418440/ref=pd_bxgy_text_2/701-2759040-8349930>.

Keith, I believe, has suggested Sepp Holzer as one source. Trouble is,
many of his key materials are not in English. I have put out feelers for
his rarely available (in Canada) works; any help gratefully appreciated.
George

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html