permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Kolenovsky <garden@hal-pc.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:23:44 -0500

Thank you, Bart, for stepping up to the plate. I read your website daily. This group could benefit from more people of your background. Maybe the naysayers would become believers. Heinberg, Holmgrem Kuntsler, Colin, et al are a host of good sources on the PO theory. I believe the proof or credible demonstation is a very SIMPLE thing. (like KISS). Oil is finite. There is only so much. This is not about RUNNING OUT. It is about shortage and supply and demand. Look at this. How long oil been pumped out of ground? 150 years? How many oil consuming machines made in that time period. 2 billion? How many tailpipes idling on fossil fuels? 1 billion? C'mon. This planet is not that big and is getting scarce on fossil fuels and oxygen. The real issue is not the aforementioned but is, "What are we going to do going forward? Are we going to put aside our uniquenesses and get along to work towards a solution and common good? Will we pull our heads out of our encyclopedias and lexicographias and look around at the world about us. Institutions aren't going to educate people about this. Will we step up and educate them about possibilities to live in the future?" Or are we scared about what we have done in the past 150 years (fattened calves) and start thinking about living real lives in the next 150 years?

Message: 10