permaculture - [permaculture] National Parks and Sustainable Settlements

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] National Parks and Sustainable Settlements
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:13:55 -0500

Here's an interesting forward. My response is posted below. More axamples
would be nice.

* * * * *

Dear sir,

howdy, I'm currently doing my M.A. in international enviromental
policy wich envolves doing research method design project. My work is on
the intragration of national parks (protected areas) with permaculture
(substanable living) for local people. My question for you is, Is there
any "thing" projects that have been implemented or being implemented that
is related to this topic or any inf. relating too. If so where is this
information and whom may i contact.

Thanks.

Tarek

* * * * *

Hi Tarek,

Have you heard of the Gaviotas project? It's a project in Columbia where a
private group has built a sustainable settlement next to a protected area.
Look up their web site under the same name.

I'm sure there must be other areas as well.

In south Texas they're using "cooperative farming" to restore degraded ag
lands. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department buys up old ag land and each
year they allow conventional farmers to still use it but they also have the
farmer plant trees and native brush to reclaim the land in exchange for the
lease. As well the farmers leave a percentage of their grain crop standing
for migrating birds.

Each year the farmers plant 10% of the land they lease from the state back
into wildlife habitat. Eventually they end up restoring 100% of the land
and move on to another leased parcel. Very interesting.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for other examples. I'll also cross post your
message to me on the permaculture mailing list.

Kirby Fry