permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:04:43 -0700

It does depend on the climate and soil conditions
Here in the Pacific Northwest red cedar (Thuja plicata) will stand up really well - unprotected by chemicals - as long as it is not in direct soil contact. It can last for decades, depending on the thickness of the material. However in soil contact, with our high precipitation rate and warm climate, it rots within a few years.

Many years ago I installed a fence at my parents' place in Northern Germany, literally pure sand soil, using untreated pine posts set directly into the ground.I did this on my father's instructions, against my "better judgement". No sign of rot at all.
Heide

Scott Vlaun wrote:

Rick,
Up here in Maine everyone uses Cedar for posts. I believe it's Eastern White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis)I've never looked into establishing a planting as I've got a bunch growing on my land. I've even sawn some up and used it to make benches for my outdoor hot tub and it's held up well.

Scott Vlaun
Western Maine USA