permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:52:59 -0500

At 02:48 PM 10/4/02 -0400, you wrote:
Seed pods as well Heide ?

Also, Black Locust is one of the hottest burning firewoods and watch you don't plant them on your path too much as they are incredibly thorny !
On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 01:11 PM, Heide Hermary wrote:

Black locust is poisonous to animals. Why would you want to use it as forage?
Cheers, Heide

I ran into Dr. Dave Combs, one of our top dairy nutritionists at UW, in the mail room and asked about BL toxicity issues. He stated that though there are very occasional poisonings of cattle by BL it only happens when there is no other feed for them. Apparently they will avoid eating it if given other choices.
Mark

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison