permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:31:01 -0700

Horses have a digestive system quite different from that of a ruminant; this
is maybe a major factor in their ability to poison themselves easily.
The toxic factor in Locust leaves, seeds, & foliage is not what's
responsible for the rot resistance of the wood. As I've noted, deer love the
tree; they're a major problem in establishing a planting.
> The mere fact that is
> doesn't decay easily (i.e. doesn't get eaten by microbes) should be an
> indicator of toxic / preservative substances.

And, as Heide indicated, Black Locust coppice regrowth is indeed more toxic.
And thornier. To minimize these problems, don't feed regrowth to animals.

My question remains: What tree species do people recommend for rot-resistant
timber in cool temperate zones? I don't want to rely on big companies
providing me with toxics just to have a fence post that lasts longer than 5
years.

-Rick