permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:38:49 EDT

hi,

Mark wrote:

<<I ran into Dr. Dave Combs, one of our top dairy nutritionists at UW, in the
mail room and asked about BL toxicity issues. He stated that though there
are very occasional poisonings of cattle by BL it only happens when there
is no other feed for them. Apparently they will avoid eating it if given
other choices.>>

Makes sense to me. Seems to me that cattle are highly selective of what they
will eat, and even when. I know my cattle are pretty selective. For example I
have quite a few black cherry trees on my pastures. I am aware from readings
that black cherry leaves that dry up, and are eaten by cattle could poison
them fast. I believe it's the concentration of toxins{cyanomides?) in the
leaves that causes death.

In my 3 years with cattle none have died from such, and a number of limbs
have been downed in storms. Am I just lucky or what? I was almost going to
cut down all the black cherry trees!

Recently someone else told me that he had heard new findings that these
stories were over exaggerated, and that death was unlikely.

So folks what's the real scoop! Frank