permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locusts, more....
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:55:06 -0700

Yes, not all plants are equally toxic to all animals, including humans. Then there is the matter of quantity ingested (something like an oral LD50), versus chronic exposure to small amounts. I haven't come across any information that addresses this in a comprehensive way for animals, except for that one book on horse nutrition I quoted earlier. It would be useful information to have.

Just because deer like something doesn't mean much to me: they routinely eat stuff that's highly toxic to them here in the city, where they've become a plague because we are not allowed to cull them. We have several large wilderness areas where they retreat to and breed, but then they make their daily rounds through the ornamental gardens. They are even nibbling on my Euphorbias.....

Seems to me that animals, including humans, are quite willing to eat toxic food that's presented to them, just because it's there, or because they are hungry. Some animals may have better instincts than others, but how do we know? Cows will eat animal matter if it's mixed into their fodder. It's really bad for them, so why do they do it? The horses I was designing that farm landscape for had previously routinely poisoned themselves by browsing on trees surrounding their old pasture. One should have thought that they would have learned eventually, but they didn't.

I don't think we can take animal instincts to avoid toxic substances for granted, especially livestock, or animals living under duress.And just because there are no obvious signs of poisoning means nothing. When the metabolism is compromised in some way it will affect overall immunity and vitality.

As for what makes black locust rot resistant: do you know what it is?

Heide

Rick Valley wrote:

Horses have a digestive system quite different from that of a ruminant; this
is maybe a major factor in their ability to poison themselves easily.
The toxic factor in Locust leaves, seeds, & foliage is not what's
responsible for the rot resistance of the wood. As I've noted, deer love the
tree; they're a major problem in establishing a planting.

The mere fact that is
doesn't decay easily (i.e. doesn't get eaten by microbes) should be an
indicator of toxic / preservative substances.

And, as Heide indicated, Black Locust coppice regrowth is indeed more toxic.
And thornier. To minimize these problems, don't feed regrowth to animals.

My question remains: What tree species do people recommend for rot-resistant
timber in cool temperate zones? I don't want to rely on big companies
providing me with toxics just to have a fence post that lasts longer than 5
years.

-Rick