pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:15:31 -0700

John Howe wrote:

A Product can be created from any development system and installed to the
Zope instance. Depending on how Zope is configured, users can have their
own unique Product instance directories ( it appears Zope 2.7.2 still
requires a hard reboot at times to install the new product in my
experience ).

I mentioned this because of earlier comments from John S that root access
might
be required to create Zope products, something he implied you would be doing
a lot of.

2) Rich mentioned before that permaculture.info could become a node in a
distributed
database network/extranet wherein data updates on one server would
instantly be
reflected by all participating nodes. I would assume that all nodes
would use
permaculture.info's database software and they would be required to
have access to a Zope server to
be able to participate. As opposed to using standard
Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP will nodes having to
meet this requirement limit the number of organizations/individuals
who will be able to be part of
our project, in this case, The Open Permaculture Project (that's a
great name for this, open=accessable=visible)?

Or do the database merge via Soap a/o XML/RPC calls? Depends on how the
API is designed for this. Will there be a moderating system for foreign
node DB contributions?

What do you mean by moderating system? Seems all that would be necessary is a
translator,
as data is always just data which those remote nodes would be inputting.
Their bioregion would
have its own peer review process to screen and evaluate data.

3) With Zope on ibiblio would I be able to run Plone in my ibiblio
website? Could I run a copy of your Perl weblog?

Plone is an add-on product to the Zope instance. There shouldn't be any
issue applying it to your Zope instance ( depends on parent configuration
).

So with my Linux login shell account I would or would not have access to my
Zope instance?
Would I install Plone there or have to login to the Zope server to do it then
call it from my
html page?

4) When I bring my new computer home from the store I will have an extra
Intel platform, a P4. I am contemplating installing Linux
on it as a dual boot machine networked via a network switch with my
new one. Could you recommend a flavor of Linux or maybe FreeBSD?
You're talking rank novice user here. I need to be able to massage my
collection of data files with Linux and have been looking forward
to doing this for years. I don't need apps, just utilities and Linux
commands.

I personally prefer Debian myself. However, the installer for the current

Many of the Linux techies I know prefer Debian.

stable distribution isn't very novice friendly. The new installer for
Debian testing distribution is a bit more friendlier.

Red Hat has a very user friendly install, however, I do not find Red Hat
that great of a linux platform in production environments ( unless you buy
into the $$ Enterprise series ). I don't have a high opinion of Fedora,
though I am biased from a lot of production work.

What is Fedora? I will need a real easy install so I may go for Linux though
I hear Mandrake
is easy. I just need access to a linux command line to manage my data
filesystem (for now at least).

I have heard good things about Mandrake. Some people prefer SUSE as well.

I hear SUSE is good also.

All linux *.iso images are available @ http://linuxiso.org/. ( Assumes you
have a cd burner capable of writing *.iso images to CD ).

If you want to test out Linux on top of an existing Windows install in a
non-destructive, test run, I would recommend Knoppix @
http://www.knoppix.org/. You will need a CD burner to make a bootable CD
out of the *.iso image.

I can make this type of CD.

I use BSD via Mac OS X, you might find that some linux code does not
compile cleanly under BSD.

I hear that BSD is light years ahead of any Linux version; FreeBSD is not
quite
as finished but nearly as good.

If you convert over to a multi-boot system and use GRUB as your boot
loader, you can multiboot into Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD. Just get a
real large hardrive >;}~
http://geodsoft.com/howto/dualboot/grub.htm

I have multiple drives for this machine, 200 and 250 gigs. Currently the Win
2000 boot drive is a 36 gig SCSI
with a companion SCSI 36 gig Drive D. With Win 2K on Drive C could I wipe
Drive D and install Red Hat there with GRUB as boot manager
- all this without deinstalling Win 2K and formatting Drive C?

Man, this is truly a value-added mailing list, HG, PC and software advice,
virtually one stop shopping.