pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:49:01 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> > > we are still waiting to hear from Chad and Rich. But
> > > whenever you decide whatever you decide on, I definitely give you the
> > > go-ahead!
> > it over a week ago and made a decision. I'm not sure about Rich's
> > reasons, but I myself have been rather nervous about the potential
> > reactions/drama following the announcement that we decided to use
> > Zope. > > Not at all. It sounds like a perfectly sound decision. Does this
> mean that those of us interested in raising money to buy HG a Zope
> machine to donate to ibiblio can get started on doing this? If and
> when we are able to get a Zope server operational there will you
> and Rich start/move current work to that location and transfer the
> permaculture.info domain to ibiblio for hosting?

Absolutely!

Great! I hope we will be able to pull this off and get the money sooner than
RSN.

Four questions:

1) I assume not having Zope root access on an ibiblio Zope server will not
hamper progress.
If you need this (root) to create Zope products could you do that work on
John Howe's
server on an as needed basis?

2) Rich mentioned before that permaculture.info could become a node in a
distributed
database network/extranet wherein data updates on one server would
instantly be
reflected by all participating nodes. I would assume that all nodes would
use
permaculture.info's database software and they would be required to have
access to a Zope server to
be able to participate. As opposed to using standard
Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP will nodes having to
meet this requirement limit the number of organizations/individuals who
will be able to be part of
our project, in this case, The Open Permaculture Project (that's a great
name for this, open=accessable=visible)?
3) With Zope on ibiblio would I be able to run Plone in my ibiblio website?
Could I run a copy of your Perl weblog?
4) When I bring my new computer home from the store I will have an extra
Intel platform, a P4. I am contemplating installing Linux
on it as a dual boot machine networked via a network switch with my new
one. Could you recommend a flavor of Linux or maybe FreeBSD?
You're talking rank novice user here. I need to be able to massage my
collection of data files with Linux and have been looking forward
to doing this for years. I don't need apps, just utilities and Linux
commands.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Roll on.