pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:06:20 -0700

The one advantage of a wiki is that discussion focuses on development of a final draft.

Of the two approaches to a 'guild database' - dynamic identification
of guild components based on sociability of various plant (types), versus specifying what constitutes a guild and managing / describing
each guild individually - am I right in guessing that we're inherently
committed to the latter now?

I am not convinced that either approach will necessarily deliver functions that serve likely user needs (i.e. machine can't design, but machine can remember and help designers share ideas and offer a template for inspiration.) If we don't do the former to some extent the the tool is too dumb to be help out. But the tool will never be smart enough to replace the latter.
I put some ideas of this nature into the community portal:
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/PIW:Community_Portal#Discussions.2FGuiding_Principles