pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:04:42 +1000

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> Its not that difficult. Take a look at my entries. Linked, highlighted
> keywords lead to subset pages to develop or not. Just like the WikiPedia.
> Think of it that way. Mediawiki is an elaborate and elegant tool for us to
> use to get started.

I grok the technology, Lawrence - I just couldn't (and still can't)
see where you modify the contents of special boxes - eg, the toolbox
in the left column. I see that the cosmetic change has been made
now, so it's almost moot. I suspect that certain key areas of the
site are modifiable only by certain users (which is fine and dandy).

Aside -- I set up joomla 1.6 (beta 2) and drupal 5.1 last week, and
have been doing a small amount of playing around with both. Joomla
seems to have come leaps and bounds, happily, and includes a wiki
component. The drupal crowd tends to eschew wiki modules, though
there is one available for it I believe.

The book construct that drupal encourages has potential, though I see
a few annoyances with it. I haven't played much with the access
control stuff, but I gather it has far greater granularity for
authentication systems .. not sure how it compares to mediawiki.

> It looks like we might start with a guilds database within the Wiki that
> represents permaculture.info; it can take all sorts of new directions. Roll
> your own.

Of the two approaches to a 'guild database' - dynamic identification
of guild components based on sociability of various plant (types),
versus specifying what constitutes a guild and managing / describing
each guild individually - am I right in guessing that we're inherently
committed to the latter now?

Jedd.