pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:22:41 +1000

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Paul Cereghino wrote:
> To be dynamic, THE PLAN that we work off of should
> be brief and to the point so that we continue to reference it (like a
> mind map or a gant chart). The wiki, and in particular THE PLAN is just
> the essential outcome of a wide ranging dialog. That dialog shouldn't
> necessarily be memorialized on wiki pages, only the outcome/synthesis of
> the dialog needs be memorialized.

Hi Paul,

I see only two problems with this approach.

People need to track both places in order to work in / on either.

Frequently the rationale - including the lengthy discussions implied
by same - are useful to have recorded in detail. Partly because they
explain why things are done a certain way, partly because the discourse
can be handy when designing something similar.

The first works particularly badly for anyone who joins in late,
and who then has to catch up on a bunch of background knowledge.

And of course the approach necessitates duplication of data.

FWIW I think it's good to have a relatively static record - minutes
of the discourse as it were - on a web site. I just don't want the
job of maintaining it.

Jedd.