pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 12:40:22 -0400

Paul d'Aoust wrote:

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 07:56 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Is this project still on and is anyone still interested in working on it?

Yes! Still very interested; just sort of busy lately with my new job.

I know how it is; I have 5 roofsystems to build on my property, 4 acres of
market garden to work,
garden handtools to make in my shop, rebuild wellhouse, go to 3 farmers
markets. It gets challenging.

I'm concerned, though; will we be moving to an exclusively Wiki-based
system?

Not necesarily but that is what we have now to get started with thanks to
Rich and Scott.
We finally have something substantial we can create the guilds database with.
It has PFAF
within and templates for guild data. I assume you read Rich's posts so you
know as much as I do
about what we have.

I've just seen talk of setting up the wiki and populating it
with data lately, and I'm wondering if that's the tack we're taking now.
I still think we should hash out a good database schema and go that
route.

I see no reason not to do that too is that is what you and others are interested in. It could be done in the same location on ibiblio. Rich could create a group for access to the filesystem and include you in it. We will need
people with that access to maintain the MediaWiki installation.
The Wiki is at:
http://www.permaculture.info
which from within ibiblio is:
/public/vhost/p/permaculture/html
[lflj@tribal ~]$ cd /public/vhost/p/permaculture/html
[lflj@tribal html]$ ls -al
total 408
drwxrwxr-x 16 pfaf piw 4096 May 1 14:37 .

So it looks like there alread is a group, piw. Maybe Rich could add you to
that, Paul. You will need an ibiblio account
so send email to: help@ibiblio.org to ask for one.

Personally, I'd like to see the name and logo changed
to reflect our current ongoing effort. As for a name, possibilities might
include:

PermaSphere
A Permaculture Database With Guild Information
or:
Permaculture Information Web

Paul d'Aoust

It currently has the old name PIW, permaculture information web

I think we can do better than the acronym PIW though Permaculture Information Web seems pretty descriptive of what we intend to do.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm