pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 08:58:02 +0100

jedd wrote:
Hi Rich, et al

Really we are at the stage of just 1 and 2. The others come later.

So ideas on a postcard.

LL indicated this wiki (permaculture.info) was to set up the guild
database. Is that how you see the function? If so, we've jumped
straight into steps 4, 5 and 6 (identify, evaluate, develop).

Well the wiki does not proclude using other software. However I think you'll find that the wiki solution is both simple and powerful and eliminates a lot of the grunt work with system plumbing. In the past we've got bogged down with endless discussions over systems and a very long development process before we actually got any new content online.

I've created an account on your wiki. I can't work out how to
modify the toolbox (you've got some &lt; tags in there that shouldn't
be).

Now fixed. I've left a message about this on your talk page
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/User_talk:Jedd

> More to the point, I find discussions on-wiki (or on-web at
all) to be harder than via email - the former encourages lost and
difficult to track threads, as well as painful attribution tracking.

Yes on wiki communication does encourages a different mode of communication. Email mailing lists are not the perfect solution either, theres about 1000 odd messages which conatin multiple interweaving threads in the old pcpdb archive and finding the relavent post can get tricky. With a wiki there is a lot of scope for refactoring discussions and a particular thread can be made into a seperate page for easier access later. Attribution does not seem to be a problem as long as people stick to the convention of signing their posts using --~~~~. Indeed as the revision history is available you can check that if you really want to know who said what.

The other advantage with wiki mode is that there is a strong connect between content and discussion, they are only a click away.

Finally, and more generally, can you (or others) please clarify this
particularly project now -- are all the people who were previously
talking about designing and then setting up an All Things For All Men
Database Of Everything now working on migrating PFAF data into
a wiki, or watching a guild-only database get cranked up, or is there
some other, greater project that includes (rather than, say, wraps
around) this?

I guess what the project will become is a product of the user who contribute. Thats why we have the discussion at
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/PIW:Community_Portal

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants