nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:48:04 -0500

Michelle and all, We'been growing goumi and autumn olive for 30 some years now. The Goumi came from Sherwood Aiken and bears regularly every year. Not at all invasive, leave the berries on as long as you can for max. sweetness and min. pucker. When frozen or cooked for jelly the astringency is gone. They both fix nitrogen, especially the autumn olive. Both are high in anti-oxidants, especially the autumn olive. 16x the lycopene of tomatoes. We now boil the autumn olive down, no sugar added and seeds included, to make a no-sugar jam. Delicious. The seeds are soft and like all seeds, quite nutritious. mowing takes care of any seedlings spread by birds.
Cornelian cherry, Che, Mayhaw, hardy kiwi are some of the other minor fruits here, most for a pretty long time. hector black, zone 6 middle tn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Spears" <Spears@LMC.edu>