nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:09:54 -0400

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:09:39 -0400
From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
Subject: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits

Are any of you growing goumi (Elaeagnus multiflora)?

I have a goumi bush from Raintree. It is supposed to be "Sweet Scarlet", but a recent message here has given me doubts. The fruits are the size of jelly beans. What size fruit do others here get?

It makes a lot of fruit, but the robins and a few other birds eat them all. I netted a couple times, and got a good harvest, but they are fiddly to eat because of the comparatively large seed, and somewhat astringent until a few days after they turn red. I made goumi jelly once, but it didn't really have a flavor, it was just sweet.

The plant is completely trouble free in terms of disease or pest issues.

Alex