nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits

  • From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:04:13 -0400

Michelle,
I'm growing both Goumi and Autumn Olive, both purchased from Hidden
Springs Nursery in TN. Very similar, but the Goumi leaves seem to be a bit
fuller and the developing fruits not quite as densely packed as the AO. This
promises to be my second big harvest from AO (tends to alternate heavy and
light crop years here in NW NC - also zone 6) but will be my first Goumi
crop. A late spring freeze can eliminate your crop and burn back the
vegetation, as they are an early bloomer and leafer. The AO fruit is a bit
tart, but perfectly good eaten straight off the bush. I freeze most of my
harvest and have them on my morning cereal as long as they last.
Small berries, but extremely abundant so that you can harvest a good
amount pretty quickly. AO is rumored to be invasive, but I've been growing
it for several years and have seen no signs of it spreading through seeds or
sprouts. A good bee flower - very attractive to bumblebees - and a good bird
food - I always run into catbirds and robins hopping around inside my bushes
- but there's usually plenty to share.

Gene Spears
Banner Elk, NC 28604