nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goumi and other minor fruits
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:19:42 -0400

Miekal, we've had -24 here, and multiple lows in the -20's here (although
not last two years) since we planted our Goumi. The first winter it had was
a real doozy, and it had very slight tip dieback. Otherwise, it comes
through fine, no damage at all. I can't imagine it getting burned by late
spring frosts, although it leafs out on the early side (with cherries and
maples way before oaks though and after black currants) it never shows any
frost damage here, and typically blooms early may here and rides through any
last light frosts. Loaded with fruit.

The fruit was cherry-sized in previous years, but it's set a large crop this
year, and they are more like a big autumn-olive, or say service-berry sized
this year. Just starting to ripen.

-matt
z5 se MI