nafex - Re: [NAFEX] why tarp covered figs die

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] why tarp covered figs die
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:30:18 -0500

I have heard this explanation from many sources and I believe it. Along with
it I often hear to cover figs late and uncover early to minimize the problem.

I use aluminum bubble insulation tents as my covering to avoid this problem -
it reflects the sun during the day and so will not overheat the plants during
a sunny warm day in winter. Here is a picture of some figs I covered:
http://www.slant.com/pictures/orchard/DSC_0027.jpg The tent was built with
ordinary staples and is attached to the ground with ground staples; note the
large area of ground covered to maximize the heat of the ground coming up.
There is nothing inside the cover besides the figs, in my climate the
insulation alone provides enough protection; the fact that it protects from
the desiccating winds probably also helps. I put a thermometer inside one
year, and found that when it was about 0F outside it was about 15F under the
cover. For even more protection run in a single 10watt bulb which is kept on
all winter.

Scott z6/7 MD