nafex - Re: [NAFEX] meyers lemon (was figs)

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] meyers lemon (was figs)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:14:16 -0800 (PST)

Ginda, Meyer lemons are fairly cold hardy for citrus, but too sweet for my
taste. I prefer a Lisbon. Still, I think I would only go to that much trouble
for a Persian lime. The one in the back yard produces huge and fragrant limes
that have very little resemblance to the grocery store limes. The fragrance
only
lasts for an hour or so after they are picked, so growing my own is the only
way
to go.
I just made some pies with some of the last of this year's crop. Five minutes
from the tree to in the pie. I managed to capture that fresh-picked fragrance
and since I only pick limes as I need them, they get very large so I only
need
the zest and juice from two for a pie.
We also have Satsuma Mandarins, grapefruit/pomelo hybrid, Blood orange and
both
Meyer and Lisbon lemon as well as Rajapuri hardy banana Some sort of fig that
was here when the house was purchased and a pecan tree with bitter nuts.
Working
on putting in some low-chill cherries next year, and maybe a plum or two.
SWMBO
is a hard sell.
Kevin z9