nafex - [NAFEX] why tarp covered figs die

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] why tarp covered figs die
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:15:40 -0600

I have a few loosely science based explanations for why a tree might die when insulated with leaves and then covered with a tarp but survive with only the leaves.  Of course it's still only an opinion based on the research of a couple trees on two different seasons which is hardly very comprehensive and the opinion is little more than an anecdotal observation.

Here it is.  The tarp traps enough heat during warm spells to break the figs dormancy enough to make it more vulnerable to cold temps.  It's either that or the tree rots from too much humidity (this is how the tree looked).  Or it was just a coincidence and the difference was weather conditions of alternate seasons.

I hope someone will do some more experiments to sort this out- meanwhile I'm OK with putting my trees in the well house.  Digging them up cuts enough roots to help dwarf them and it's actually quicker than putting up a fence ring and filling with leaves.