nafex - [NAFEX] Why tarp covered figs die

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Why tarp covered figs die
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:01:18 -0600

Following up on Alan Haigh's call for more research on this subject, I have had some experience with this too.

Mine was an attempt to overwinter Rosemary plants (an evergreen). I planted them atop the septic tank so they could benefit from its heat. First I covered them with leaves with a tarp on top and all plants rotted. Next I covered them with pine needles and a tarp; few plants survived while most rotted. I repeated the pine needle experiment one more year carefully checking the plants to determine when to pull off the needles. That worked except that I had to remulch the plants every time a Spring freeze was predicted. Then I decided it was too much work for too little gain and I abandoned the project.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472