nafex - Re: [NAFEX] meyers lemon (was figs)

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] meyers lemon (was figs)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 07:24:05 -0600

When I had some potted citrus trees I put a plastic bag over them when I brought them indoors, to hold in humidity. I put them in a poorly heated room that had a window on the west side, but where the sun couldn't hit it. I was trying to copy the way the English kept their potted citrus trees alive back when, they kept them cool and rather poorly lit. Meyer lemon is a lot more willing to go dormant than real lemons. Limes are even livelier and less likely to be suppressed by cool temps than lemons are. For Up North you might do better with the lemons and limes. I remember Michael McConkey saying that he had some kind of dwarfing rootstock that wasn't hardy but did great in pots. Something weird I never heard of before. Donna