nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy figs in zone 3

  • From: mIEKAL aND <QAZINGULAZA@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy figs in zone 3
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:05:15 -0600

On Dec 11, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

My first experience with Hardy Chicago was to bring them inside anticipating a frost. All the leaves fell off within three days of being inside.

I keep a bunch of my younger figs going in various indoor spaces, there is always a bit of adjustment when they go in & when they come out in the spring. Especially for cuttings of new varieties that I'm trying to size up & create a framework this works well. right now, I have a few 3 month old cuttings of Atreanno that are putting out figs on a stick the size of a pencil. I also take them to work & grow them in some of the windows there. If nothing else they make far better houseplants than yr run of the mill pothos or schefflera....

Next I planted it next to the septic tank so the roots wouldn't freeze (Septic tanks don't freeze). That worked. Every year it bore fruit and none of it ever ripened prior to a killing frost, even in a year where frosts were delayed by a month. Then I got tired of playing with it and planted Boysenberries instead.

This is a brilliant idea, I'll have to try this. Everything I've planted to date in zone 4b has died completely. I think the one adjustment I would do to the setup is to get an impromptu greenhouse over it in the summer months. Hardy Chicago & Celeste ripen in around 120 days around here.

~mIEKAL