nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shy Bearers?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shy Bearers?
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 15:06:49 -0400

Murph asked about Mt-Royal and Sweet 16 being shy bearers or slow-poke...

Well, here in Quebec (zone 4), Mt-Royal is certainly the best plum you can
have. When it bears I have a lot more plums than I can use. Last year I had
2 bushells from this not-very-big tree. But it is a bit irregular in
bearing and some years, curculios get most of the crop. It did require
about 8 years before starting fruiting.

As of Sweet 16, this one has been a big deception for me. I grafted it in
1991 and never got more than 5 apples in a year. And I don't think the
apples are that great - they don't seem to ripen well here. So this one is
going to be cut sometime in the future... It certainly is way under
expectations.

Claude