nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:08:41 -0500

I've found Reliance is dogged by a lot of folks that have experience with
it. In the Nafex archives, Fackler once said something like, "if it's a
good quality peach, it's probably not Reliance", indicating it is probably a
mislabeled tree. Dave Griffin used to post on the forum, and was a rigorous
peach explorer for northern climates. He indicated Reliance isn't the most
cold hardy peach. As I've posted before, my experience with Reliance is
pretty sub-standard. Small, poor color, soft, and not a good sweet peach
flavor, as compared to other peaches. Am I becoming a peach snob?

BTW- There was someone a few years back who got some Reliance scionwood
from the USDA repository to test it against a nursery purchased Reliance.
Anyone know how that worked out?

Mark
KS