nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: Robert Capshew <rcapshew@insightbb.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:40:50 -0500

> I am trying to picture 'divider boards'  with a basket, are
these crosslaid maple strips (like are used for stacked pressing)
but cut in a circle to fit inside your basket?<

I bought a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of polyethelene and cut dividers
to custom fit one of my presses.  You mark the sheet with the
shapes you want and can cut the sheet with an electric jig saw
quite easily.  The plastic is much easier to clean and sanitize
than wood.  You may also want to buy a piece of UHMW
(ultra high molecular weight) plastic to use as the top plate
that comes in contact with the press platen.
>If so do you do only use an outer sack - or individual cheeses
each with cloth inside the basket?<

Get some heavy fabric (see other postings) and have the edges
serged to prevent raveling.  After adding the pommace, fold the
cloth like a diaper and add one of your custom sheets from above.
Build the cheeses then press.

Bob Capshew
S. Indiana