nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: hwparker@verizon.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:59:03 -0500

Claude et al,

I, too, appreciate your info and data. Although I have not done the weight study w/ my recent change to a slurry grinder (I use a disposal to grind) i kinda doubt that I would get anything out of a second press. My pomace comes out dry and hard as a pressed board and has to broken apart with some force. I will check in the spring and see if any animals tried to chew on the blocks of pomace; I have my doubts.

I use the slatted basket and divider boards that are serrated to help the flow out to the edges and am still using the hand screw method. With the apple slurry it is awfully easy and simple. With my previously used grater much like Claude's I was getting visible pieces of apple and always felt that despite extra pressure there was some juice left in the mini-pieces.

I will do a weight study on my next season's batches for interests sake.
I am in NH, zone 4, elevation 1600