nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing-hydraulic

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing-hydraulic
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:32:29 -0600

Thanks for the pictures Jim. For some reason, I couldn't get the links to
work (probably has something to do with my antique computer) but I found
your photo album and a couple pictures of your press. I was thinking of
this very design, as one of the possibilities. Do you mind if I ask you a
few questions? What is the tonnage of your jack? Once you have the
pressing bucket full and in place, how long (in minutes) does it take for
one pressing? How much pressure do you have to push down on the jack toward
the end of the pressing? In other words, do you have to push down 50 lbs.
worth? 100 lbs.? All your weight?

It looks like the lip of your catch pan is about 1 1/2" tall, and the catch
pan is about 1 1/2" larger in both length and width, than the diameter of
the bucket? Does that sound about right? I was thinking about making the
plate the bucket sits on longer; about twice as long as the diameter of the
bucket, so that it formed a kind of a "shelf" the bucket could slide out on.
The "shelf" would be used to pull the bucket out, fill it with pumice, then
slide it back under the plunger to begin pressing. Otherwise the plunger is
somewhat in the way when the bucket is filled. Do you think this would be
helpful?

Do you use a pressing bag inside your bucket, or do you let the fine screen
of the bucket do the filtering? What is the clearance between the edge of
the pressing plate, and the wall of the bucket? What is the pressing plate
made from? Is it reinforced, if so how? Hope its not too many questions.

Thanks,
Mark