nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:55:39 -0600

Del wrote:

"I have a large acme screw and a 14" dia. thick wall plastic pipe I salvaged that I am thinking of making into a screw press for smaller batches, or for grapes. Figure I'll just drill a jillion holes in the pipe."

Hi Del,

I've been considering a screw type press as well.  Roton sell the screws.  The problem is so much mechanical advantage is lost in the inefficiency of a screw.  Acme threads rate at about 30% efficiency.  And that's assuming a good thrust bearing.  Without a thrust bearing on the end of the screw, more mechanical advantage will be lost.  Hydraulic rams are nearly 100% efficient.  I'm still considering a screw, but I'm just not sure if it will deliver enough power.  In short, a typical acme 1 1/4" screw will only deliver about 4 ton of force, and that's with a thrust bearing, if 100 ft/lbs. of torque is applied to the screw.

Mark
KS