nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:33:14 -0400

A number of you have referred to grinding your apples into a "fine slurry".
I have an antique
press (manufactured by "David Maxwell & Sons, St. Jacobs, Ontario" in the
1800's - my own
name is David Maxwell). This has teeth about 3 mm in size on the scratter
(this is the correct
English word for the grinder mechanism), and as several people have pointed
out, makes
largish chunks of apple. One year I had only a small quantity of cyder
apples, and, rather
than dirty the press, I ran them through my electric Champion juicer (also a
bit of an antique, I
guess, but nowhere near as old.) This produced a finely ground pommace, but
the juice was
cloudy, and never cleared despite prolonged storage of the resultant cyder.
My usual cyder,
after a couple of rackings comes crystal clear, as the residual solids settle
out. Are those of
you using a fine grind simply being content with a cloudy product, or do you
have some other
means of clarifying the must? (Let me be clear here - I am making what you
call "hard cider",
not apple juice.)
(Claude, does the French Canadian word <<cidre>> refer to sweet as well as
hard cider?
This whole concept is an American creation, dating from Prohibition, and
certainly in France,
<<le cidre>> refers unequivocally to the alcoholic beverage.)