nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:50:12 -0500

A 19:08 08.12.06 -0600, vous avez écrit :
>Another question, on the left side of that picture, at about 10 o'clock, it
>shows a diverter that forces the apples to the grinding side (the right
>side) of the housing. Why was this diverter needed? It seems to me, if the
>apples dropped in the left side, the grinder drum would simply carry them
>over to the right side, and grind them up. Did apples somehow get trapped
>on the left side?

Well, you are probably right - I guess the grinder would work just as well
without this diverter. Although it does add some rigitity to the assembly.

>Also how much faster are cheeses to press, verses putting the pulp in a
>pressing bucket. I had thought with an 8 ton jack, it would be enough force
>to drive the juice out of the pulp fairly fast, whether using cheeses, or a
>bucket. Do you see anything wrong with this logic?

An important point you have to consider is how long a path the juice has to
follow in order to escape the pomace. Pressure will often compress the
pomace, making it impermeable, thus making it harder for the juice trapped
in the center to escape. The best yield would be obtained from very thin
layers where the path for the juice is very short... Also, too much
pressure often expells pomace through the holes of the net, making a mess.

Claude