nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing

  • From: hwparker@verizon.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pressing
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 19:13:00 -0500

On Dec 7, 2008, at 9:59 AM, D Stubbs wrote:

I am trying to picture 'divider boards'  with a basket, are these crosslaid maple strips (like are used for stacked pressing) but cut in a circle to fit inside your basket?
If so do you do only use an outer sack - or individual cheeses each with cloth inside the basket?
I am glad to hear a screw press can  get pomace so dry!

I use a piece of hardwood ply that is routed both ways to make a lattice and then sealed to keep out moisture.  I use a very heavy nylon net, think the material used on backpacks with a name of Leno Mesh from the Rainshed , to build my bag and use the same to enclose the divider boards inside the bag that lines the slatted basket.  Same material could be used as cheese presses but that is not what I have done. However it is porous so that the juice is not clear but cloudy which is the way I like it - it has lots of flavor and 'body' but does settle out somewhat in due time.  However I do like my juice to have some body.

I agree w/ Claude that the juice has to have a way to get out which is why I subdivide  the slurry in my tub w/ divider boards, trying to get the same affect as his cheeses. If I was starting again from scratch i might consider the cheese  method as my forefather did years ago (making cheeses about 4 ft square as I recall), but I am happy w/ what I have and being basically lazy don't figure I will switch systems now. There is no way I can blow out the cloth I am using now.

Great pictures from Claude.  I use a liberal amount of high quality lithium grease on my threads and thrust bearing; but find the calculations interesting.

Hank  Zone 4 NH 1600 elev