nafex - [NAFEX] good highbush cranberry?

  • From: <kbrubaker@nc.rr.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] good highbush cranberry?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:35:38 -0400

is there truly such a thing as a "good highbush cranberry"? This is our
second year of getting a few berries off of the highbush cranberry (Viburnum
trilobum), and they are one of the most bitter things I have ever tasted.

The bit of searching i've done indicates that there are several closely
related species - some very bitter and some more tart like a true cranberry.
Does anyone have one of the palatable varieties?

I'm sad to remove the plant, it's shown impressive vigor (6 ft of growth this
year alone), but the bee forage just doesn't make up for the fruit.

Kurt
Durham NC