nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:42 -0500

This is the first year that my Asian Pear has produced and it was a bumper crop! Now I am trying to find a way to use them and to save the wonderful taste to enjoy throughout the winter. Has anyone had eperience with cooking, freezing, canning them?

Congratulations!

I can't help you with recipes, but one of the reasons I planted Asian pears was because they're supposed to keep so well. I suppose it depends on the variety, but I've heard they'll keep for months in the refrigerator vegetable crisper (or, probably, in plastic bags in the regular section of the refrigerator). That's assuming you have the room, of course.

I can't say from personal experience. This was my first year with fruit, too, but I got four pears off one tree (not quite ripe yet) and one off another. Not exactly anything needing storage! :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary, patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer, I beg to submit that it is the first. - Ambrose Bierce