nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmons... where are you growing them?

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmons... where are you growing them?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:52:29 -0400

I’ve got a Kaki persimmon that I planted a couple years back here in Michigan.  It has survived winters fine, but it is still small and has not yet fruited for me.

My neighbor immediately knew what it was (and he’s not reallly a gardener).  He is from the area and told me that growing up his neighbor had a persimmon tree in his yard (an american persimmon from the description of the fruit).  He said that the tree was big and he recalls each year getting fruit from it.  He said that the house burned down years after he left home and the tree was gone the next time he drove by.

Btw…I am about ½ a mile from Lake Saint Clair, about 5 miles north of the border of the city of Detroit (which means I live north of Windsor, Ontario).

Scott Hills

Michigan zone 6