nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning apple trees

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning apple trees
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:23:40 +0000

My 2 (or 3) cents: Yes, summer-pruning, but never more than about 20% of the
branches, or tree will try to replace some. Think about training branches to
more horizontal anywhere you can, especially if you can avoid some pruning.
No fertilizer for at least twice the height of the tree in radius around it,
and avoid unnecessary watering.

Asking an MM111 tree to stay as small as Ginda's asking is a stretch. May be
better to replace the tree, on a more dwarfing rootstock.

Would slices through the trunk's bark, just thin cuts (& not too deep nor all
the way around) help to promote fruiting and also dwarfing? And what's the
best season for this, if it's a good idea?