nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmons... where are you growing them?

  • From: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmons... where are you growing them?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:55:21 +0000

Hello
I have not personally seen any persimmons growing in the UK. However one of the more adventurous nurseries run by the Agroforestry Research Trust ( http://www.agroforestry.co.uk Martin Crawford of the ART wrote the Directory of Apple Cultivars which I am sure some of you will have) lists a number of cultivars Fuyu, Kostata, Mezelli, Meader, Nikita’s Gift, Russian Beauty - the latter two being hybrids. The trees are grafted, but the catalogue does not say onto what.
The catalogue says "True Oriental persimmons are borderline fruiters in the UK, but do well in hot summers. They make small ornamental trees whereas the American persimmon can become much taller with age."
May be I should give one a try.
Regards
Clifford
Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK