nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best apples article

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best apples article
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:27:15 -0500

If you are going to discuss “best apples” it’s useful to add some context. Do you mean best fresh-picked off your own trees, or best out of your cellar or refrigerator throughout the following winter.

Good point. When I planted my apple trees (which are still too young for apples), I made a point of trying to find good keepers, and for taste, not cooking. There is no way I'll be able to eat all those apples at once, so I hope to store them and enjoy eating them most of the winter. We'll see...

Someone mentioned Honeycrisp as a good storage apple that keeps its crunch- maybe in CO2 storage but not out of my cellar!

This is disappointing, because it's one of the varieties I planted, just for that reason (and because I like the taste, at least in grocery store apples). I've since discovered that it supposedly tastes best when there are cool nights when it ripens, so maybe this was a bad pick for two reasons.

Which brings up another question: what's the best way to store apples over the winter? I don't have a root cellar. My basement is unfinished, and a bit cooler (and damper) than the rest of the house, but not extraordinarily so. I was thinking of buying another refrigerator (perhaps an older, used one), just for fruit. Would they dry out too badly there? Any suggestions? I've got at least a year to worry about it. :-)

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. - Sam Harris