nafex - Re: [NAFEX] local 'culls'

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] local 'culls'
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:12:02 -0700 (PDT)

Amanda's comment reminded me of my visit with a kiwi farmer in New Zealand
years ago when
kiwis were all the rage here. He was hauling an overloaded pickup of
beautiful kiwis to
his brothers hog farm. I was a bit dumfounded, he said look closer - they
were all double
or triple fruits - not the classic single as we see in the stores even today.
He said his
New York buyer would reject them.
I was behind a grocery store years ago getting cardboard banana boxes to use
for
shipping. In one was an unopened bag of carrots, being the upstanding farm
boy I was I
marched it in the back door and gave it to the green grocer presuming it was
an error. He
said "Keep it, they are all bent carrots, they will get picked over for
straight ones
every time, so I save the trouble and throw them out early". After that, till
they
started locking them up, I became a converted dumpster diver.
Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3a N. MN

http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html