nafex - [NAFEX] Red Delicious

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Red Delicious
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:48:26 -0500

The other day Red Delicious apples were selling for 49 cents/lb at the
grocers. Nobody is making money at that price. I wonder if it won't be
long before they disappear from the stores altogether. It seems apparent
Red Delicious is headed for back-yard orchard production only, but I'm
wondering will eventually disappear completely? Seems a strange sad thought
that future generations may never know the taste of a Red Delicious, even
though it's not that great (However, the current out of favor preference may
in part be due to oversaturation. I wonder after we've had our fill of
Fujis, Galas, Honeycrisps, if we will yearn for a plain old sugary apple).
Just a thought.

Mark
KS