nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious

  • From: Amanda Emily <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:14:26 -0700

Red Delicious going the way of the dodo?

Not in Washington State. Both Van Well and C&O's various Red Delicious sports are sold out for 2008 delivery already.

This year's crop coming out of the Wenatchee and Chelan valleys are hitting the stores, and unfortunately seem to have a rather starchy bitter taste this year (than again I am comparing delicious picked under-ripe for CA storage against tree-ripe fruit off my elderly Richared - and the culls from the packing houses seem to get left to be sold here in Washington).

Amanda
Eastern WA/z6

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:
The other day Red Delicious apples were selling for 49 cents/lb at the
grocers. Nobody is making money at that price. I wonder if it won't be
long before they disappear from the stores altogether. It seems apparent
Red Delicious is headed for back-yard orchard production only, but I'm
wondering will eventually disappear completely? Seems a strange sad thought
that future generations may never know the taste of a Red Delicious, even
though it's not that great (However, the current out of favor preference may
in part be due to oversaturation. I wonder after we've had our fill of
Fujis, Galas, Honeycrisps, if we will yearn for a plain old sugary apple).
Just a thought.

Mark
KS

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**