nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:09:21 -0400

I don't think anyone has mentioned the influence of soil and climate on apples.
It may partially account for the fact that some Red delicious are delicious while others remind us of carboard.
I have observed this phenomenon over and over again. The soil imparts a flavor. It is quite noticeable when you are in presence of extremes such as sand and clay base.
I have tasted a Gala growing on a gravely eastern slope in zone 4, that was just divine! I have tasted other Galas that were passable, no more.
Hélène, in zone 4 north of Ottawa,
where we are experiencing the longest warmest Fall ever.