nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach leaf curl/resistance

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach leaf curl/resistance
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:01:38 -0500

The new growth that develops after petal fall is not affected by peach leaf curl and quickly hides the defoliation caused by leaf curl. However, severe infections that cause more than 10% defoliation can result in reduced fruit size. A few scattered infections cause no significant damage to the trees, but they can provide overwintering inoculum for the following year. Adding additional fertilizer heavy in nitrogen and additional water in dry periods can help trees combat curl and rejuvenate from an outbreak, especially if copper was applied this spring, even though it may have been a late application. We used a new organic fertilizer this season on our apple trees and I applied it to our peach trees that had curl after our copper spray and it brought them right back within 2 weeks. We kept the irrigation on for that 2 week period at 1/4 the normal rate to avoid over watering and it worked like a charm.

If you had problems with peach leaf curl this season, you can treat the disease in the fall. The best timing for application is during leaf fall in the fall. The longer you wait the better. You need good coverage of the buds exposed when the leaves fall off. This means that the best time to spray is after the first frost. This is especially true with young trees, which hold on to their leaves until the really cold
weather comes in late November.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com